The Madison Rotary Foundation is offering one-time grants to student veterans to help with short-term, urgent, or emergency expenses.
Veterans must meet the following criteria:
- Served at least two years of active duty in the U.S. Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy and received an honorable discharge
- Currently enrolled full-time at UW-Madison
- Resident of Dane County
If you can answer “Yes” to all of the above, review the eligible expenses.
One time basic and temporary living expenses eligible for payment are defined as:
- Housing expenses – mortgage/rent, repairs.
- Vehicle repairs.
- Utilities – electricity, water, gas, internet and primary phone (Note: Phone expense limited to $150/mo and does not include equipment charges.)
- Medical expenses, such as bills & prescriptions (including for your spouse or child).
- Food, fuel and incidentals. Note: Perishable items, such as groceries, personal needs, gasoline, etc. These expenses would require applicant to submit receipts for purchases.
- Textbooks for current courses.
The following expenses are ineligible for assistance:
- Credit cards, military charge cards or retail store cards
- Personal, student or payday loans
- Unsecured debt or loans, including loans or debt owed to a friend/family member
- Military debt, VA debt or other Benefit debt
- Negative bank accounts, including overdraft fees and charges
- Cable/Satellite TV
- Legal expenses
- Rental furniture, electronic equipment, vehicle, etc
- Down payments on homes or vehicles, or assistance in purchasing personal property
- Bills incurred due to excessive spending or mismanagement
Checks will be issued directly to payees/creditors (mortgage, utilities, etc.) and will be sent to the recipient.
If you would like to apply for a one-time grant, fill out the application form and return it to the Madison Rotary Foundation along with a letter from a faculty or staff member who will verify your eligibility for a grant. Deadline to apply is December 12, 2019.
*This form is available online as a fill-in form. You can complete the form, resave it and email it to the Rotary office (see email address in above letterhead). Visit www.rotarymadison.org; click on Downloadable Forms; click on Veterans Assistance Fund Application.