Certificate in Business
Learn business. Grow your skills. Expand your education.
Prepare for a future strategic role, diversify your skill set, and gain foundational business tools to use throughout your career.
18 Credits, 6 Courses
4 required courses + 2 business electives
Required courses: accounting, finance, marketing, and management and human resources
Popular Majors to Pair With the Certificate
Journalism, psychology, engineering, community & nonprofit leadership, consumer science, life sciences communication, and international studies
Applications are accepted from the first Friday of classes through the fourth Friday of classes of the fall semester.
You are eligible to apply to the Certificate in Business program if you:
- Are a currently enrolled undergraduate student at UW–Madison
- Are pursuing a nonbusiness degree
- Have completed a minimum of 24 degree credits at the time of application (sophomore standing)
- Have a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA. (This GPA does not guarantee admission to the certificate.)
- Have completed a minimum of 12 GPA credits. (Transfer students must complete a minimum of 12 credits at UW–Madison.)
With your application, you will submit two essays (250 word maximum each) that addresses these prompts:
Please provide a detailed description of how the Certificate in Business will help you achieve your professional goals.
How will the Certificate in Business coursework provide you with a foundation to pursue these goals?
Applicants are encouraged to use specific examples from their academic, work, volunteer, and other experiences within their essays/self-reflections.