Certificate in Business
Learn Business. Grow Your Skills. Expand Your Education
Prepare for a future strategic role, diversify your skill set, and gain foundational business tools that you can use throughout your career.
2 business electives
4 required courses:
Accounting, finance, marketing, and management and human resources
Popular Majors to Pair With the Certificate
Journalism, psychology, engineering, community & nonprofit leadership, consumer science, life sciences communication, and international studies
Once you complete all of the certificate requirements, “Awarded Certificate in Business” will be notated on your official transcripts.
Applications are accepted from the first Friday of classes through the fourth Friday of classes of the fall semester.
You are eligible to apply to the Certificate in Business program if you:
- Are a currently enrolled undergraduate student at UW–Madison
- Are pursuing a nonbusiness degree
- Have completed a minimum of 54 degree credits at the time of application (junior standing)
- Have a minimum 2.75 cumulative GPA. (This GPA does not guarantee admission to the certificate.)
- Have completed a minimum of 12 GPA credits. (Transfer students must complete a minimum of 12 credits at UW–Madison.)
With your application, you will submit an essay (500 word maximum) that fully and reflectively addresses this prompt:
“Please provide a detailed description of how the Certificate in Business will enable you to more completely fulfill your goals, both educational and professional. Be specific regarding how the Certificate in Business will be integrated with your current program, school, and/or major.”