On November 9, the Nicholas Center completed its fall trek to Chicago. Our treks are important parts of our program that allow students to get outside of Madison and connect with distinguished business leaders in Chicago. We also do treks to other cities including New York City in the spring semester.
This year was a fantastic opportunity to meet with a number of business leaders from a wide range of backgrounds and to learn about important finance concepts outside of the classroom.
KEY HIGHLIGHTS INCLUDED:
- 19 of us met with four institutions in downtown Chicago
- Companies included Allstate Investments ($83Bn in assets), Neuberger Berman’s Fixed Income Division ($114Bn in assets), the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago and Barchart (a FinTech data and analytics company)
- We had the opportunity to meet with distinguished UW-Madison alumni:
- Brad Tank – Chief Investment Officer of Neuberger Berman’s Fixed Income Division
- Mark Pittman – Head of Public Investments at Allstate
- Tom McDonnell – VP, Investment Finance at Allstate
- Mike Moran – Head of Private Investments at Allstate
- In addition, we met with a number of key business leaders not connected with UW including:
- Mark Haraburda – CEO of Barchart
- Ashok Bhatia – Portfolio Manager at Neuberger Berman’s Fixed Income Division
- Karima Kenny – Chief Administrative Officer at Neuberger Berman’s Fixed Income Division
- Robert Rottman – Institutional Market Advisor at Barchart
- Toured the Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago
- We had excellent discussions with these key leaders on investment strategy, current market conditions, derivatives (Neuberger Berman provided a teach-in from a legal and operational perspective for our team) and career advice.