Since Mark Eppli (PhD ‘91, MS ‘84, and BBA ’83) joined the Graaskamp Center as its Director in August 2019, he has been busy working to expand the Center’s visibility with the real estate industry on several fronts. First, he is a frequent keynote presenter at conferences hosted by the Graaskamp Center, and at other prestigious industry conferences sponsored by ULI, NAIOP and the Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago. He also provides consultation and expertise to a variety of state initiatives and groups, including the Wisconsin State Assembly, and is frequently interviewed and quoted in the media. All these efforts also serve to expand the Center’s role in applied commercial real estate research and its dissemination to industry, government and academia, thereby making our research and outreach more relevant and useful to our constituents.
When Eppli isn’t on the road forging industry connections, he can be found in the classroom teaching Urban Economics, and working with the Graaskamp team to develop its new strategic plan and to launch several important academic initiatives, including the Center’s Real Estate MS Program, and a new Private Equity course to be unveiled in the fall.
- Interview with President George W. Bush at Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago Conference. Mark Eppli interviewed George W. Bush, 43rd President of the United States and founder of the George W. Bush Presidential Center, at the 2019 Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago (FHLBank Chicago) Annual Management Conference.
- Presenting NAIOP Keynote on “2019 Bulls and Bubbles: What’s Next for Commercial Real Estate” at the NAIOP Conference on November 20 in Madison, WI.
- Presenting keynote with Irgens Executive Director Michael Brennan at ULI Conference on November 20 in Chicago, IL.
- Recently presented research to the Wisconsin State Assembly on the topic of workforce housing.
- Interviewed Laurie Goodman, Vice President of Housing Finance Policy, Urban Institute, at the Wisconsin Real Estate and Economic Outlook Conference hosted by the Graaskamp Center on October 4, 2019 in Madison, WI.
- Presented wrap-up presentation at the Global Real Estate Markets Conference hosted by the Graaskamp Center, Toll Brothers and Sidra Capital at the New York Stock Exchange on October 31.
- In conjunction with ULI, Eppli developed a series of videos on the real estate career tracks which will be co-branded with the Graaskamp Center.
IN THE NEWS
- Quoted in the Washington Post article, “Who built this beautiful place?’ Despite Trump’s visits to his properties, some of his businesses show new signs of financial decline.” November 6, 2019.
- Interview published in the Daily Reporter: UW center director finds construction could be doing more for state’s economy. In this article on construction in the state of Wisconsin, Eppli notes the state’s lack of national builders, easily obtainable loans for land purchases and the sort of attractions that make a state a desirable to place for workers to move to. Separately, tight development restrictions continue to weigh on the homebuilding industry, putting the cost of a new house out of reach for many. November 7, 2019.