Take Your Investment Expertise to New Heights
Up your value as an investor with a top-ranked MBA that sets you apart in the investment world. Supported by the Hawk Center for Investment Analysis, this is the longest-running program of its kind and remains one of the nation’s leading academic programs for applied investment education. The curriculum emphasizes application of modern investment theory to the management of a $25 million portfolio.
Hands-on experience managing real money and making investment decisions that make a real impact
Access to alumni who teach and mentor, and serve as a network to find internships and full-time job positions
A low faculty-to-student ratio enables close monitoring of students’ financial modeling and reports and detailed, real-time feedback
The Wisconsin Full-Time MBA curriculum integrates a strong foundation in general management with highly focused preparation in applied security analysis. You will begin specializing right away.
- Data to Decisions
- Financial Accounting
- Introduction to Financial Management
- Operations Management
- Leading and Working in Teams
- Marketing Management
- Introduction to Applied Security Analysis
- Ethics, Integrity and Society
- Integrated Company Analysis
- Business Strategy
- Economics for Managers
- Business Valuation
- Introduction to Applied Portfolio Management
- Analysis of Fixed Income Securities
- Applied Security Analysis and Investment Management I
- Electives (3)
- Applied Security Analysis and Investment Management II
- Electives (2)
Beginning immediately, you’ll learn from direct contact with leading investment practitioners, use the same analytical tools used by professionals, and control more than $25 million in actual securities. Small program size means you get a lot of interaction and hands-on experience to build your résumé.
- Manage more than $25 million of equities and fixed-income assets in the second-year specialization capstone
- Learn from a wide range of financial professionals the keys to assessing the quality of corporate business models, weighing risks and opportunities, and applying valuation methodologies to a variety of security holdings
- Apply what you learn in the classroom to real business decisions, supported by alumni and successful industry leaders, as with a recent applied learning session in which students presented an action plan for increasing portfolio performance to a practicing fund manager
- Gain proficiency with the same industry tools investment professionals rely upon, including Bloomberg® Terminals, Morningstar® financial data, Sustainalytics, and FactSet® Analytics
- Build the core skill sets required in today’s financial markets through access to Wall Street Prep evaluation and financial statement modeling materials, templates, and training, including a two-day Wall Street Prep bootcamp.
- Prepare for the Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA) Program exam series through a specialized curriculum and access to additional CFA resources as part of the CFA Institute University Affiliation Program
- Participate in the CFA Institute Research Challenge
- Learn from financial industry leaders from across the globe through conference opportunities
Expert Support and Career Connections
The specialization is supported by a dedicated knowledge center, the Hawk Center for Investment Analysis, backed by extensive industry support and a network of more than 700 Hawk Center alumni.
Participating investment industry experts and alumni:
- Guide curriculum and applied learning
- Mentor students
- Assist with recruiting and placement
Members of two Hawk Center advisory boards – Hawk Portfolio Advisory Board and Hawk Leadership Board – have deep ties to the industry and consult on all aspects of the program.
Board Member Spotlight
Jason Schultz, CFA, CPA
Jason serves the center as a member of the Hawk Fixed Income Portfolio Advisory Board. He is an experienced investor focused on identification and analysis of and investment in undervalued securities. Jason regularly directs interns to Northwestern Mutual.
Our expert faculty members offer a deep-dive investment program that sets you apart.
Greg Edwards (MS ‘97)
Edwards brings more than twenty years of investment management experience to the program, using his background in equity management and research to prepare the next leaders in the field. He guides first year students in the management of equity portfolios. Edwards is a Wisconsin School of Business alumnus and has managed equity portfolios at firms like BlackRock and Baird, most recently serving as a senior analyst at a boutique hedge fund.
Betsi Hill (MS ’89)
Hill provides valuable perspective as she shares extensive industry experience supervising student management of fixed-income portfolios. A program alumna who has served on the advisory board, Hill started her career as a credit analyst for Liberty Mutual, rising to senior positions in fixed income credit research, most recently as partner and head of global credit research at Napier Park Global Capital.
Get To Know Our MBAs
Hear about students’ experiences in the program.
Gain Hands-On Portfolio Management Skills
Connect With Top Employers
Connect with employers through classroom visits, networking events, and applied learning projects. Frequent recruiters:
Applied Security Analysis Careers
Common career paths
- Equity or Fixed Income Research
- Portfolio Management
Common job titles
- Portfolio/Fund Manager
- Portfolio Analyst
- Buy-Side Analyst
- Sell-Side Analyst
- Institutional Sales Representative
- Wealth Manager
- Equity Research Associate
- Equity Analyst
- Investment Product Manager/Sales Representative
- Fixed Income Analyst
- Investment Grade Analyst
- Leveraged Loan Analyst
- High Yield Analyst
Your MBA. Your Career Success.
High staff-to-student ratio means you get unlimited support—and exceptional connections—as you step into your ideal career.
Connect with us.Get the latest infoGet the latest program info