MBA in Real Estate
Navigate Dynamic Real Estate Markets
Get unmatched real estate knowledge along with a general management core. In this top-ranked program, manage real assets, visit global companies, and solve real estate challenges.
Whether you want to manage million-dollar portfolios or develop affordable housing projects, you will be positioned to make an immediate impact.
Real Estate MBA Program
—U.S. News & World Report, 2022
Sponsor of Annual Global Real Estate Market conference in New York
Manage the complexities of commercial real estate and pursue focused tracks in private equity or applied real estate investment
1,800+ member Wisconsin School of Business Real Estate Alumni Association (WREAA)
The curriculum integrates a strong foundation in general management with highly focused preparation in real estate. Specialized courses begin your first semester, enriching your internship and applied learning experiences.
Customize with additional electives in a wide variety of topics in business, law, engineering, and urban and regional planning. You can also pursue one or more graduate-level certificates in topics such as business analytics, entrepreneurship, strategic innovation, and sustainability.
- Financial Accounting
- Introduction to Financial Management
- Leading and Working in Teams
- Marketing Management
- Data to Decisions
- Operations Management
- Real Estate and Investment
- Ethics, Integrity and Society
- Integrated Company Analysis
- Business Strategy
- Economics for Managers
- Techniques in Real Estate Valuation OR Theory of Security
- Real Estate Capital Markets OR Elective
- Applied Security Analysis and Investment Management I
- Electives (3)
- Applied Security Analysis and Investment Management II
- Electives (2)
Three Commercial Real Estate Tracks
Build focused expertise in your desired career path with 12 credits concentrated in each track and specific applied learning and client-facing experiences.
Commercial Real Estate Development
Applied Real Estate Investment
Commercial Real Estate Development Track
Gain skills and knowledge to successfully manage the development process, from project planning and management, to investment and financing decisions, to property valuation, property management, and real estate asset management.
- Commercial Real Estate Development
- Real Estate Valuation and Feasibility Analysis
- Real Estate Capital Markets
- Real Estate Finance
Along with an extensive roster of multidisciplinary electives.
Applied Real Estate Investment Track (AREIT)
The first program of its kind in the country, the Applied Real Estate Investment Track (AREIT) gives you the opportunity to work with a team to manage a live $1.7 million portfolio of real estate investment trusts (REITs). Develop fundamental research and portfolio management skills by blending a thorough theoretical foundation with the firsthand experience and challenge of managing real money and working successfully as a team. An advisory board of REIT industry professionals serves as the “client” and provides advice and guidance on investment decisions and presentations. Work directly with executives at REITs, money managers, and sell-side analysts, as well as an AREIT board of leaders in REIT portfolio management, private equity investors, plan sponsors, and other professionals.
Work in a team to:
- Create a view on real estate property sectors through sector reports
- Underwrite, value, and present stock recommendations for the portfolio
- Monitor the portfolio and make adjustments throughout the year
- Create a view of macro economy and then update the view as new data becomes available
- Monitor capital markets
Private Equity Track
The Private Equity Track is a unique student/alumni investment board private equity fund, the mission of which is to invest outside capital in an educational setting to deliver real returns for investors. The student team makes investment recommendations in a variety of private investment funds. You learn to structure investments across a range of property types, regions, and investment vehicles.
Work in a team to:
- Construct an investment criteria sheet
- Vet prospective private-placement memoranda
- Visit prospective investments
- Create an investment pipeline
- Present opportunities to the investment committee
- Generate an annual report/pitch book
Small program size means you get a lot of interaction with students and faculty as well as alumni and corporate partners plus hands-on experience to build your résumé.
- Enter numerous nationwide case competitions
- Invest real money in either publicly traded REIT shares or limited partnership interests in live real estate transactions nationwide across all property types (AREIT and PE tracks)
- Gain leadership experience and engage with real estate alumni nationwide through the Real Estate Club and Women in Real Estate (WIRE) Club
- Participate in global study tours and domestic field trips via applied learning tracks and clubs
- Make industry connections at alumni events, board conferences and events, and through our mentor program
Expert Support and Career Connections
The specialization is supported by the James A. Graaskamp Center for Real Estate. Named for the late James A. Graaskamp, a legendary figure in real estate education at Wisconsin, the center serves as your link to alumni and the global professional real estate community. An advisory board of 130 real estate leaders supports the program, advising, participating in exclusive board lifelong-learning opportunities and conferences, and contributing as guest lecturers and mentors.
Highly engaged advisory board members have deep ties to industry and consult the specialization on curriculum, projects, and networking.
Board Member Spotlight
Brian Eisendrath, recently named #1 Rainmaker by GlobeSt.com Real Estate Forum, sources aggressive capital for institutional and high-net-worth clients. Since 2007, Brian and his team have closed over $20 billion across more than 800 transactions.
Our expert faculty members offer a deep-dive real-estate program that sets you apart.
Faculty Member Spotlight
Mark Eppli is widely published in commercial real estate and serves on a number of boards, including the Federal Home Loan Bank of Chicago. Eppli was named a “Distinguished Fellow” by NAIOP, a national commercial real estate organization, which recognizes him as a foremost real estate policy expert. He has received awards and recognition for his efforts to attract minorities to the real estate industry, most recently The Greater Milwaukee Foundation’s 2021 Civic Leadership Award.
Check out What’s New
Connect With Top Employers
Connect with employers through classroom visits, networking events, and applied learning projects. Frequent recruiters:
Real Estate Careers
Common career paths
- Commercial or Residential Development
- Lending and Finance
- Asset and Portfolio Management
Common job titles
- REIT Analyst
- Transactions Associate
- Real Estate Manager
- Senior Financial Analyst
- Portfolio Manager
- Vice President
- Real Estate Development Associate
- Acquisitions Associate
- Commercial Real Estate Analyst
Your MBA. Your Career Success.
High staff-to-student ratio means you get unlimited support—and exceptional connections—as you step into your ideal career.