Each spring, the Wisconsin School of Business recognizes faculty and staff for outstanding achievement in the areas of teaching, research, innovation, and service. The annual awards ceremony also commemorates faculty and staff for milestone years of service and honors those retiring in the current year. This year’s celebration ceremony was held virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here is a full list of the 2021 awardees:
Faculty Research Awards
WSB presents the Erwin A. Gaumnitz Research Awards to recognize noteworthy achievement in an area of research. The awards are peer-nominated based on the caliber, significance, and productivity of the research.
- Erwin A. Gaumnitz Distinguished Junior Faculty Research Award:
- Florence Honore, assistant professor of management and human resources
- Dmitry Orlov, assistant professor of finance
- Erwin A. Gaumnitz Distinguished Faculty Research Award: Yongheng Deng, professor of real estate and urban land economics
The School recognizes excellence in teaching with four teaching awards.
- Henry C. Naiman Outstanding Graduate Student Teaching Award: David Samuel, doctoral student in accounting and information systems
- Mabel W. Chipman Outstanding Academic Staff Award for Excellence in Teaching:
- Lauren Lofton, lecturer in real estate and urban land economics
- Paul Johnson, lecturer in risk and insurance
- Mabel W. Chipman Outstanding Junior Faculty Award for Excellence in Teaching:
- Sebastien Plante, assistant professor of finance
- Roberto Robatto, assistant professor of finance
- Erwin A. Gaumnitz Distinguished Faculty Teaching Award:
- Fabio Gaertner, associate professor of accounting
- Xiaoyang Long, assistant professor of operations and information management
Educational Innovation Award
In 2014, WSB established the Educational Innovation Award to recognize innovation in the classroom. Special consideration is given to approaches that are adoptable and scalable to large groups.
- Educational Innovation Award: Tanya Hubanks, lecturer of management and human resources, and Min Li, senior lecturer of management and human resources
James M. Johannes Outstanding Faculty Award for Excellence in Executive Education Teaching
This award recognizes service to WSB’s Center for Professional and Executive Development.
- James M. Johannes Outstanding Faculty Award for Excellence in Executive Education Teaching: Adam Bock, lecturer of management and human resources
Wisconsin School of Business Service Awards
WSB’s service awards recognize an individual’s outstanding contribution and exemplary service to the School. New this year, the COVID/Resilience awards recognize the outstanding contributions of WSB staff members and cross-functional teams who went above and beyond to fulfill the mission of the School in the face of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Erwin A. Gaumnitz Distinguished Faculty Award for Service: Page Moreau, professor of marketing
- 2021 Dean’s Distinguished Service Award: Ella Mae Matsumura, professor of accounting and information systems
- Wisconsin School of Business Staff Service Awards:
- Linda Barrett, assistant director, Risk Management and Insurance and Strategic Human Resource Management
- Joanie Bonazza, faculty affairs coordinator, Office of the Dean
- Doug Exum, technical and operations manager; Evening, Executive, and Professional MBA Programs
- Paul L. Newby II, senior photographer, Marketing and Strategic Communications
- Michelle Somes-Booher, director, Small Business Development Center
- Shannon Timm, director, Alumni Relations
- Lori T. Finkel, executive assistant to the dean, Office of the Dean
- Wisconsin School of Business Individual Staff Service Award, COVID/Resilience:
- Tim Bent Jr., director of facilities and event services
- Peter Lukszys, senior lecturer of marketing
- Wisconsin School of Business Staff Service Award, COVID/Collaboration:
- Instructional Continuity Team: Verda Blythe, Ron Cramer, Chris Dakes, Theo Howard, Adam Huffman, Billy Kardasz, Paul Oliphant, Eden Walech
- Small Business Development Center Team: Tara N. Brown, Amy Bruner Zimmerman, Heather Ferguson, Rena Gelman, Chris Gruneberg, Anne Inman
- Facilities and Event Services Team: Josh Crom, Jenny Lanzel
- Human Resources Team: Edna Crary, Lelah Frey, Marita Kelly, Azza Keuntjes, Tianwei Miller, Amber Reierson
- Academic Planners Team: Dana Outhouse, Brigid Patterson
- Audio and Visual Team: Brett Jovanovich, Brian Martin, Hunter Ruediger, John Welton, Terry Wise
- BBA Advising Team: Natalie Arriaga de Brooks, Jess Baran, Ruth Dahl, Alexis Steinbach, Randy Gentile, Zach Hershoff, DJ Mattison, Paul Oshefsky, Ashley Raasch, Ariel Sorenson, Lindsey Wischnefski, Lauren Wypiszynski
- Administrative Specialists Team: Kym Abely, Joanne Esser, Rebecca Kowalewsky, Kathy McCord, Michele Parker, Donell Schetter, Miranda Zuo
Wisconsin School of Business Student Recognition Awards
The student recognition award acknowledges exemplary WSB students.
- Wisconsin School of Business Student Recognition Award:
- Madeline Mortell (BBA ’22), marketing
- Mary Vernon (PhD ’21), accounting and information systems
- Ally Gustke (BBA ’20, MAcc ’21); Henry Mirsberger (BBA ’20, MAcc ’21); Devan Klaus (BBA ’20, MAcc ’21), master of accountancy
- Saurabh Bhandari Rajiv Bhandari (MBA ’21), full-time MBA
- Catherine (Katey) Librett (MS ’21), master of business analytics
See the 2020 award winners.